Welcome to a bite-sized edition of ScienceSeeker, your best source for the newest and most exciting science research from around the world. This week, discover the viruses with a totally different genome to the rest of life on Earth, and explore the fascinating biology of cicadas. ScienceSeeker editors' favourite posts within their respective areas of interest and expertise also cover many other important and exciting topics. Why not have a read, inform yourself, and indulge your scientific curiosity?
- Do girls really show more empathy than boys? by Emma Young for BPS Research Digest.
|Hundreds of studies seem to suggest that girls are more empathetic than boys, but we should be wary of making sweeping generalisations on that basis.|
Credit: Brian Richardson via Flickr (CC BY 2.0)
- Sleep deprivation prevents us from blocking out painful memories by Jonas Ho Chan Wai for Massive Science.
- "Spatially resolved transcriptomics" takes a snapshot of gene expression in our brains by Malosree Maitra for Massive Science.
- We hiked along with cicada biologists so you don’t have to by Eric Niiler for Wired.
- Brilliant Bee Chemistry! by Kat Day at The Chronicle Flask.
- Aliens that weren't aliens by Sabine Hossenfelder at Backreaction.
- Some viruses have a completely different genome to the rest of life on Earth by Jacinta Bowler for Science Alert.
- Deadly fungi are the newest emerging microbe threat all over the world by Maryn McKenna for Scientific American.
Check back next week for more great picks!